Madie Carroll House
As legend goes, the Madie Carroll House arrived in Guyandotte by flatboat in 1810. James Gallaher, a river tradesman, had obtained the house in Gallipolis, Ohio and placed the house on lot number 34 in Guyandotte.
Thomas Carroll arrived in Guyandotte, VA in 1852. Thomas, his wife, Anne Burnes, and their children moved into their new home later that year. The home at the time belonged to Lucian M. Wolcott, and he later sold Mr. Carroll the home in 1855. Thomas Carroll operated his home as an inn on the James River and Kanawha Turnpike. After Thomas died, Mary Carroll continued to obtain licenses to operate an inn. The inn was known as the "Carroll House."
Mary Carroll saved the house from destruction in 1861 when the Federal Troops burned most of the town of Guyandotte. She barricaded herself and children in the brick kitchen of the house, although their property did suffer some losses. In 1892, Mary Carroll requested that the Federal Government pay her for the loss of a second dwelling and two story frame storage building/barn.
The Carroll family members were the first Catholics in Cabell County. The Carroll home served as a house of worship before a Catholic Church could be built in the area in 1873. The first parish priest, Father Thomas A. Quirk, lived in the Carroll house from 1872 to 1884. Because of his good works, he became known as "the Padre of the Mountains."
The Carroll family continued to live and prosper in the Carroll house, and they owned several other pieces of property throughout the county. The only two children of Thomas Carroll to marry were Michael Henry Carroll, who married Elizabeth W. Downy, and Caroline "Ellen," who married James McLaughlin. One of their children was E. Madie Carroll. Madie inherited the home from her family.
Madie taught piano for many years. In the 1924 Polk City Directory, she was listed as teaching music at St. Edward's College. She had immense pride in her heritage, especially her home. She often passed time with neighbors and friends talking about the house and its history. She was still living in her home when the house was listed on The National Register of Historic Places, June 1973. Madie died in 1975 and left her nephew, Lewis Carroll, the historic home.
The home was deeded to the Greater Huntington Parks and Recreation District in 1984. The Madie Carroll House Preservation Society, Inc. received permission from the Greater Huntington Parks and Recreation District in 1988 to restore the house for use as an historic house museum and cultural community center.
Please call for more information on tour availability.
Explore the site on